HELLO beautiful people of the internet! It’s been a solid minute since my last post because I made some major life changes (At the end of November, I left my job in Los Angeles to pursue a happier path. More on that here.) I’m finally settled into my new apartment in Chicago and I’ve got a ton of fun pieces in the works that I can’t wait to share.
The last time I posted a recipe, it was the summertime (yikes). Side note: I don’t even know what season it is in Chicago right now because we had a thunder and lightning storm last night and woke up to snow this morning…Anyway, what better to kick off my 2017 reboot than a muffin recipe?
When I was moving into my apartment last week, my mom and I kept going to Panera for meals because I had no groceries and nothing was unpacked in my kitchen. One of the funniest moments of the move was the two of us trying to assemble a desk while simultaneously downing Panera’s Cinnamon Crunch bagels like they were the only food left on planet earth. I’m currently typing this post at said desk, so props to us, it hasn’t fallen apart yet.
Needless to say, Panera inspired this cinnamon crunch muffin recipe. If you’ve ever had one of their cinnamon bagels, you understand what I mean when I say the crunchy topping. is. everything.
To replicate the crunchy topping, all you have to do is mix together cinnamon, sugar and brown sugar and very generously toss it onto the tops of your muffins before they go into the oven. This recipe has a good amount of baking powder in it, which means the muffins rise significantly while they’re baking. The result is one giant, crunchy and sweet muffin top that pairs nicely with the soft, cake-y body of the muffin.
The full recipe for these cinnamon crunch muffins is below. They’re perfect for a wintertime breakfast and taste great with your morning (or afternoon…or both) coffee. Not that I’m speaking from experience or anything here… Enjoy!
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1 1/4 c milk
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla and oil into mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Measure out cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and flour into separate mixing bowl and slowly add to wet ingredients while mixing.
- Slowly add the milk to the batter. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into muffin tins, filling until 2/3 full.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Generously cover each muffin with crumble topping.
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.