Calling all Beauty and the Beast Fans! I made the grey stuff from Lumiere’s famed “Be Our Guest” verse and it was INDEED delicious. Now, the recipe is very likely not the same as the actual “grey stuff” but it tastes pretty darn close and that’s good enough for me. A little backstory for those who aren’t familiar:
Disney World underwent construction a few years ago to expand Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom. With that expansion, the park saw the addition of a Beauty and the Beast themed restaurant (finally, am I right?!) called Be Our Guest. It’s a tough restaurant to score a reservation at but this past January, I dined at the restaurant for breakfast! The “Grey Stuff” wasn’t on the breakfast menu since it’s technically, ya know, a cupcake but they let me order it anyway (I mean, who are they to judge what time of day I like to enjoy cake? That time of day being always…).
So my little cupcake comes out with my breakfast quiche, and it’s topped with the famed “grey stuff” icing, which tasted like a mousse/whipped cream/buttercream combination. Naturally I hit the interwebs after our meal to see if any bloggers have tried to recreate the recipe and of course several had. A lot of the recipes I found included some sort of cookies and cream component, but I personally didn’t taste that flavor. SO, I present to you my interpretation of the “grey stuff!”
- 1 container of Cool-Whip whipped topping (about 3 cups)
- 1 box of vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla
- Black food coloring – I use Wilton’s gel brand
- Grey pearl sprinkles
- Place pudding mix, heavy cream, milk and vanilla into a large bowl or KitchenAid and beat on high until soft peaks start to form (about 3-4 minutes). Mixture will be yellow if you are using french vanilla pudding mix.
- Gently fold whipped topping into the cream mixture with a spatula until well mixed. Mixture should have a mousse-like consistency.
- Using a toothpick or a knife, add a SMALL amount of black food coloring to your mousse and gently mix in until well-blended. This small amount of black food coloring mixed with the yellowish-white of the cream should turn a nice shade of grey.
- Place icing into a piping bag and pipe onto cake or cupcakes, or eat as is! Use the grey pearl sprinkles as decor and enjoy!